Here’s a list of things that happen every time the earth makes a complete rotation:
- The sun rises.
- 365,000 babies are born.
- 8.6 million lightning strikes occur.
- It’s approximately 18 million people’s birthday.
- Two living organisms will get their supply of oxygen throughout the day from one tree.
- Each person will laugh about 15 times on average.
- 150-200 animal and plant species will be placed on the “extinct” list.
- Human body cells will expire and reproduce about 50 trillion cells.
- A mayfly will hatch and die.
- The sun sets.
I have a list of motivations I look at every morning. Here are two of the main ones:
- There will never be another *insert m/d/y here*
- You’re going to die one day.
1. There will never be another *insert m/d/y here*
I like to think of this as if I’m someone in the future looking back on the past. Have you ever thought to yourself “It would be great to have lived in the 20s, 80s, or 1700s.” or maybe you’ve thought “It would be amazing if I could just travel back in time and experience that thing that happened on that day.”
I like to think of every day like this. As if I have some advantage of being alive at this moment in time that those past and future don't have. As if every day has the potential to change my life for the better or worse if I let it.
2. You’re going to die one day.
Morbid right? I think this motivation came from a quote by C.S Lewis. He talks about Christians here, but this can apply to anyone's legacy:
"If you read history you will find that the Christians who did most for the present world were precisely those who thought most of the next. It is since Christians have largely ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this.”
Wrapping your mind around the fact that you will one day not be here and the world will continue to exist without you, will certainly make you live your life with more intentionality.
How do you practically live with intentionality and maximize every single day? Check out this blog post by one of my favorite guys on Medium.